Outlook Express: Setting up your email client on a PCPosted on
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes, 49 seconds
Follow the steps below to set up Outlook Express to use an existing email address:
- Open the Tools menu in Outlook Express and select Accounts. Now in the Internet Accounts window, click on the Add button and select Mail.
- In the Display Name field, enter your name or your company name as you would like it to appear on your outgoing email, then click Next.Note: If you are using Outlook Express version 5, you are presented with the option to use an existing address or sign up for a new one. Select I already have an email address I’d like to use. The option to sign up for a new address is not presented in version Outlook Express version 6.Enter your email address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org etc.
- Click Next. The next screen should show ‘My incoming mail server is a POP3 server’.
- If you are using an email address with @mydomain.com, @activewebdezign.co.uk, or a domain name which we host for you, enter pop3.activewebdezign.co.uk in the Incoming mail server field. Otherwise, you will need to ask the company which provided your email address what to enter here.
- Enter smtp.activewebdezign.co.uk in the Outgoing mail server field and click Next.
- In the Account name field, enter the username for the mailbox you want to access.
- If you are using an email address such as email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, enter the username part as the Account name.
- Email addresses which use a domain name that we host for you are aliases for a email@example.com email address. If you are setting up an alias, enter the username part from the @activewebdezign.co.uk email address that the alias is attached to e.g. if you had the email address firstname.lastname@example.org as an alias for email@example.com, you would enter joebloggs as the account name.
- If you entered something other than pop3.activewebdezign.co.uk for the incoming mail server in the previous step, you will need to ask the company which provided your email address what to enter for the account name.
- You may enter your password and tick Remember password if you wish. Doing so will allow anyone who has access to your computer to read your email, but means that you will not have to re-enter your password every time you check for new email. Do not tick ‘Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)’.
- Click Next and then Finish.
- Ensure that the email account that you have just created is highlighted. If not, please highlight this account by left-clicking on the name of this email account.
- Click on Properties in order to configure this email account then click on the Servers tab and the following box should be displayed:
- In the Outgoing Mail Server section, check the box for My server requires authentication
- Click the Setting button and you should see the following:
- If your incoming mail server is set as pop3.activewebdezign.co.uk, you can check Use same settings as my incoming mail server. If you are using a different incoming mail server then check Log on using and type your BT Business email account username and password here.
- Click Apply then click OK.
You have successfully set up your Outlook Express email client to send and receive email.